The Atrium is a remarkable galleria-like structure of glass and steel that provides an impressive indoor venue for exhibitions, product displays, launches, artistic installations, showcases and markets. The space is home to some of Melbourne’s major galleries, cafes and specialty stores, including The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, with a steady flow of pedestrian traffic through the area. The Atrium measures approximately 90m x 17m with a 15m suspended ceiling and a cantilevered opening onto Flinders Street. The central floor space is complemented by the Fracture Gallery and the Air Gallery, with the steel frame of the building providing excellent points for rigging. The Atrium also provides direct access to the Deakin Edge theatre, with the flexibility to use both venues as part of a large festival, event or exhibition.
- Exhibition Space: 90m x 17m
- Crowd Capacity: 800 people (standing)
- Cantilever Crowd Capacity: 150 people
The Fracture Gallery is an enclosed glass space in the wall of The Atrium which is ideal for exhibitions and artistic installations.
Infrastructure and artistic works can be suspended from the ceiling of The Atrium in a large, open-air gallery.
At the northern end the Atrium, under the glass cantilever, is a 6m x 3m area available for commercial, promotional and retail displays.
- Undercover and protected from the weather
- 1200sqm floor space
- Exhibition display system with lighting – all exhibitions must use a Fed Square Pty Ltd exhibition display system and must be a full system hire
- LED screen (7.68sqm, 16:9 aspect ratio) and sound system
- Paved concrete floor
- Accessible public toilets
- A hearing-aid loop amplifier can be patched into any The Atrium sound system to assist the hearing impaired.
- Climate-controlled heating and cooling
- Lift access to the The Square
- Onsite catering providers
- Power throughout the venue
- Full closure of The Atrium is an extreme occurrence in unique circumstances and is subject to approval by Fed Square Pty Ltd
Access: The Atrium has lift access to the The Square and is wheelchair accessible. For further details visit, Accessiblity at Fed Square.
The Atrium Venue Hire Rates:
|Venue Hire Type
|Free Public Event – Full Day
|Free Public Event – Half Day
|Private Event (partial closure)
|Exhibition – Weekly
|Exhibition Fracture Gallery – Weekly
|Media Management Fee
|The Cantilever – Full Day
These rates do not include catering, cleaning or security costs.
- Flavour Exchange
- Melbourne Writers Festival
- Volley Well Worn
- Melbourne Prize for Urban Sculpture
- Fed Square Wine Showcase
- Fed Square Book Market
- Buddha’s Day & Multicultural Festival
- Fluro Magazine Launch
- ADEC ArtAbility: Home is Where the Art Is Exhibition
- Community Choirs
Find on Map »