Fed Square is internationally renowned as Melbourne’s civic and cultural urban space; a place where visitors come to celebrate, learn, experience, innovate and connect.
FSPL is the social enterprise that manages Fed Square. Operating under a Constitution which includes the Fed Square Civic and Cultural Charter, our high performing team delivers over 2,000 events per year, with an annual visitation of 10 million.
As the custodians of Fed Square, FSPL works closely with our cultural institutions and tenants, commercial partners, community entities, the private sector and government to deliver a diverse range of outstanding visitor experiences.
In a rapidly changing city, Fed Square strives to continue to grow as a world-leading public space.
Our actions, words and behaviours are guided by a core set of values that form the foundation of everything we do: community commitment, integrity, leadership, innovation, team work.
This role is responsible for leading the team to successfully delivery all events staged at Fed Square and requires expertise in people leadership, strategic thinking, complex problem solving and a high level of customer service and client focus.
This role delivers high level, relevant and detailed technical production management expertise and advice to event management and venue operations staff and a range of external clients, who range from international producers, PCO’s, government stakeholders and volunteer community groups to deliver technical complex events that a have attract high visitation to Fed Square and enhance the overall precinct experience.
This role carries the technical expertise, knowledge and experience that will ensure the safe and timely delivery of both FSPL presented events and client events, within scope and budget that meet our visitors’ expectations.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
This role delivers high level, relevant and detailed technical production management expertise and advice to event management and venue operations staff and a range of external clients, who range from international producers, PCO’s, government stakeholders and volunteer community groups to deliver technical complex events that a have attract high visitation to Fed Square and enhance the overall precinct experience. Delivering technical production expertise with a strong client focussed team with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Lead the successful delivery of the logistical aspects of the Fed Square events calendar. This includes, but is not limited to event scope, catering, security, cleaning, traffic and pedestrian flow management, direction signage, event infrastructure (marquees, power, water etc), site access.
- Lead the successful delivery of the technical production aspects of the Fed Square events calendar. This includes, but is not limited to lighting, AV, audio, rigging, stage mechanics and stage management.
- Development and version control of event documentation, including stage layout, site plans, lighting plans, tech specs, cable plans and artist riders.
- Development of Gantt charts, resource charts, staff rosters, project timelines, contractor schedules, production schedules, run sheets for successful technical production delivery for all major events.
- Budget responsibility for cost control and delivering events within scope and as financially sustainable as possible. Provide high levels of customer service and detailed, specific technical expertise to external event organisers and clients and internal customers.
- High level influencing skills to successfully negotiate with contractors and clients, holding staff and contractors accountable for meeting deadlines.
- Work with the OH&S Manager to ensure risk management and compliance with policies and protocols, developing any required mitigation plans.
- Carry out duties in accordance with FSPL’s safety, environmental and quality policies, safety principles, corporate values and strategies
- Management of onsite contractors to ensure the safe and timely delivery of events and compliance with current OH&S, WHS and HSEQ practices
Skills and Experience
- Min 5 years’ experience in technical production management of large, multi-site, outdoor festivals and events is essential with responsibility for end to end event delivery
- Proven ability to prioritise and meet competing deadlines, and successfully deliver multiple events, often at the same time
- Budgeting experience with a demonstrated capacity to manage budget changes to ensure that required outcomes and cash flows are achieved
- High level of customer service and experience with collaborating with non-technical and / or volunteer event organisers.
- Highly developed technical and engineering expertise with working with an outdoor site.
- Strong contractor management experience, including tendering, contract negotiation and onsite supervision
- High level verbal and written communication skills
- CAD experience is desirable
- MS Office Project is desirable
Education and Qualifications
- Production management qualifications from institutions such as NIDA, VCA, WAAPA, QUT etc
- A working knowledge of the Victorian building code, Australian Standards for electrical equipment and live audio production, current OH&S and HSEQ practices
- White card, Fork lift license, working at heights card would be highly regarded
- Riggers experience would be highly regarded, but not essential
- Flexibility to accommodate weekend and evening work will be required on a regular basis due to the nature of the event calendar and availability to receive calls for emergency works.
Please apply with a current resume/ CV and a one page cover letter addressing the core requirements of the role by midnight on Sunday 9 September 2018. Shortlisting will occur throughout the duration of the ad being up, so please do not delay applying.
Further details about Fed Square can be found here www.fedsquare.com.
You must have full working rights in Australia to be considered for this role.